Cathleen is a partner and shareholder at Rebar Kelly. She heads the firms’ liability practice. She has been advising and counseling clients in complex litigation matters for almost two decades. She defends clients in claims pertaining to professional liability and errors and omissions, products liability, toxic tort, premise liability, security, health care, social services and employment practice. She serves as the Chair of the firms’ Information and Security Procedures.
Cathleen has represented clients in the following types of claims:
- duty to represent
- dangerous conditions
- inadequate security
- failure to advise, failure to implement design specifications
- failure to supervise, failure to inspect
- design defects
- employer liability under The Jones Act
- errors in professional judgment and failure to refer
- failure to meet/inform of deadlines
- failure to diagnose and misdiagnosis
- emergency medical care and nursing mistakes
- negligence arising out of complementary and alternative medicine
- mental health issues
- corporate liability
- subcontractor responsibility/indemnification
- indemnity and obtaining coverage under additional insured status
- failure to warn
Her clients include one of the nation’s largest health care providers. Prominent architects and engineers, national retailers and one of the country’s largest real estate brokerage.
- Premise Liability and Security
- Product Defect & Food Contamination
- New Jersey
- New York
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania
- U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Pennsylvania
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Florida
- U.S. District Court for the District of New Jersey
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of New York
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of New York
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of New York
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit
- U.S. Supreme Court
- Philadelphia Bar Association
- Appointed to the CLM Retail, Restaurant, and Hospitality Board
- Council on Litigation Management (CLM) Member
- Appointed to the Executive Council of the School of Construction for the 2016 CLM Claims College
- Professional Liability Sub Committee of CLM
- Premises Liability Committee Sub Committee of CLM
- Products Liability Committee Sub Committee of CLM
- Trial Law Institute
- New York Bar Foundation
- Women’s Steering Committee Sub Committee of CLM
- Litigation Counsel of America Trial Lawyer’s Honor Society
- Professional Liability Underwriting Society (PLUS)
- Co-Chair Cyber Sub Committee of CLM
- Inaugural member of “Young Lawyer Friends of the Foundation” The New York Bar Foundation
- Defense Research Institute, Trucking Law Committee
- New York State Society of CPAs
- National Retail and Restaurant Defense Association
Transferring Risk in the Retail, Restaurant & Hospitality Arena, CLM Retail, Restaurant & Hospitality Conference, Dallas, TX, February 7, 2018
E-Strategies, Litigation Management Institute, Loyola University, Chicago, IL, October 21, 2018
Claims & Judicial Inconsistencies on the Rise, CLM Cyber Summit, New York, NY, October 12, 2018
Looking for Other Pockets: Identifying and Pursuing Other Entities to Offset Liability Including Additional Insureds, CLM Construction Conference, Chicago, IL, September 2018
Third-Party Vendor Risk Management and Exposure, CLM Claims College, Baltimore, Maryland, September 5 - 8, 2018
Strategies for Marketing, Mitigating and Offsetting Costs of Data Breach Claims, CLM Annual Conference, Houston, March 2018
Combating the Reptile Theory Through Deposition Preparation and Motion Practice, RRM CLM Conference, Dallas, TX, February 2018
Reptile Theory Practicum, New York Athletic Club, January 11, 2018
“User’s Guide to Data Breach Handling,” 2017 CLM Annual Conference, Nashville, TN, On March 30, 2017
Aspects of Working in Litigation Boutiques, Villanova University Panel on Business, Villanova, Pa on January 11th, 2017
Instructor at Litigation Management Institute at Loyola University School of Law, 2016 – 2017.
Instructor at CLM Claims College, Baltimore, Maryland, 2016 – 2017.
2nd Annual Advanced Forum on Medical Liability Claims, Coverage & Risk Management in New York, NY on October 27 – 28, 2016
2016 CLM Cyber Liability Summit “Internet of Things – Modern Day Warfare and Threats Both Seen and Unseen” in New York, NY on October 05, 2016
13th National Forum on Cyber & Data Risk Insurance, American Conference Institute’s (ACI) 13th National Forum on Cyber & Data Risk Insurance in New York, NY on July 28-29, 2016
The Experts Speak - Cyber and Data Privacy Risk - a Holistic Approach to Mitigating the Inevitable, Cyber Liability CLM Annual Conference in Orlando, FL on April 7, 2016
Cyber-Insurance: Understanding the New System a LIVE Webcast sponsored by the American Conference Institute on January 25, 2016.
Panel speaker on the subject of Small Law Firms. Part of the Small Business Series held at the Villanova University School of Law, on January 13, 2016
The Interface of Underwriting, Claims and Counsel to Create Sustainable Insurance Products for Cyber Risk, 2015 Cyber Liability Summit, October 21, 2015.
ACI’s 11th National Advanced Forum on Cyber & Data Risk Insurance - Attorney/Client Privilege Issues Arising out of Breach Notification: Attorney’s Ethical Duties When Clients Seek Advice During a Breach and Examining the Communication That is Considered Privilege, September 30-October, 1, 2015 at the Affinia Manhattan, NY.
Cyber Liability Class Actions and Litigation: Their Impact on Accessing What Breaches and Resulting Claims are Worth, ACI Cyber & Data Risk Insurance, March 24-25, 2015.
Instructor at Litigation Management Institute at Columbia University School of Law, 2015.
Instructor at CLM Claims College, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, 2014 – 2015.
The Changing Landscape of Cyber Security, ACI Medical Professional Liability Summit, October 30-31, 2014.
The Changing Landscape of Cyber Liability Litigation and Its Impact on Assessing What Breaches and Resulting Claims Are Worth, ACI Cyber Conference, September 29-30, 2014.
Protecting Against the Unexpected: How to Defend Claims Resulting from Criminal Activity, Retail Restaurant Hospitality Committee CLM, May 9, 2014.
Penny Wise and Pound Foolish, CLM 2014 Annual Conference, March 2014.
Expert Relations: How to Maximize your Expert Witness' Effectiveness in Obtaining the Best Results for Your Client, CLM 2013 Professional Liability Mini Conference, July 26, 2013.
Mounting and Establishing an Effective Failure to Thrive Defense in a Skin Breakdown Case, American Conference Institute’s 3rd Annual Forum on Preventing and Defending Long Term Care Litigation, January 23 – 24, 2013.
Food Adulteration, Is it Preventable?, FX Conference Series, November 29, 2012.
Supporting your Legal Professional, National Association of Legal Secretaries Annual Meeting, Peddler’s Village, September 27, 2012.
Food Safety Modernization Act, NJICLE, September 2011.
Defending Long Term Care Cases, American Conference Institute’s 1st Annual Forum on Preventing and Defending Long Term Care Litigation, April 2011.
- Liberty and Law Civics Program
- Mothers Against Drunk Driving
- National Coalition Against Domestic Violence
- Laurel House
- Montgomery County Camp Cadet
- Visitation of the Blessed Virgin Mary Catholic Church
- Board Member of the Montgomery County Emergency Services Board
Cathleen was a collegiate athlete at C.W. Post College/Long Island University and is a strong supporter of youth athletics. She enjoys helping her son develop as an athlete and in teaching him the importance of team sports. Cathleen enjoys the beach, outdoors, being active and spending quality time with her family.